This page started out as a way for me to organize the various writing resources I have come across – and weed out the bad ones. Only the best, which warrant my time and my money, make it on this list. So, take advantage of the work I have already done and spend time with the resources below rather than spend your time trying to discover good resources on your own. No one needs to reinvent the wheel when good information is freely available.
I welcome recommendations for additions to this list in the comments below, but I won’t post anything I haven’t sufficiently reviewed. Enjoy!
- Read about writing from actual published authors.
- Plot before you start writing.
- Consider plotting on a timeline (horizontal) instead of an outline (vertical).
- “Write what you know doesn’t necessarily mean to write about your life.” – Melina Marchetta
- “If you’re interested in writing, read read read and then read some more.” – Melina Marchetta
- Internet Anagram Server
- Serendipity by Manon (More quality random generators than you’ll ever need!)
- The Evil Overlord List by Peter Anspach (Don’t forget the two dungeons for all 231!)
- The Evil Overlord Devises a Plot by Teresa Nielsen Hayden
- Evil Overlord Random Plot Generator by Teresa Nielsen Hayden and Avram Grumer
- Pseudo-Elizabethan Place Name Generator on inkalicious.com, Michele Albert’s site
- Real Estate Subdivision Name Generator by Adam H. Lewenberg
- Advanced Fiction Writing Blog by Randy Ingermanson