After 8 years of teaching, I’ve finally done it. I finally made a course evaluation for my students. After some research into the kinds of questions that are best to ask, I came up with the following list:
My Course Evaluation Questions
- How would you rate the classroom climate?
- Temperature, lighting, and other classroom conditions were favorable.
- Furniture and equipment were up to date and maintained in good working order.
- How would you rate the teacher?
- The teacher was knowledgeable about the topics presented.
- The teacher was well prepared for class.
- The teacher was accessible when I needed help.
- How would you rate the course content?
- Course assignments were interesting and stimulating.
- Directions for course assignments were clear and easy to understand.
- Books and handouts were helpful in completing assignments and understanding concepts.
- How would you rate the organization of the course?
- The amount and difficulty of material covered was appropriate.
- There was a coherent progression of the course from beginning to end.
- The teacher maintained a pacing guide, calendar, or schedule of topics to be covered.
- How would you rate the quality of the teaching?
- The amount and quality of feedback on assignments was appropriate.
- The instructor answered questions carefully and completely.
- Throughout the course, I was aware of my progress in completing assignments and understanding concepts.
- How would you rate the grading system used in the course?
- The grading system was clear and fair.
- Assignments were worth the time they took.
- Test were at a reasonable level of difficulty relative to the material covered.
- How would you rate the classroom management and discipline?
- Students were treated fairly and felt comfortable and respected.
- Classroom and school rules were applied consistently and fairly to all students.
- Inappropriate behavior was confronted and necessary action was taken.
- What aspects of the course did you like best? Why?
- What aspects of the course were the weakest and should be changed? How?
- Overall, how would you rate this course?
- This course has increased my interest and appreciation for the subject.
- I would recommend this course to a friend.
My Course Evaluation Questions Online
Since online forms are so much better at gathering and displaying information, I put these questions into Wufoo at http://dsmith77.wufoo.com/forms/course-evaluation/. Wufoo makes creating surveys and forms simple. A free account lets you create 3 forms with 10 questions apiece and only limits you to 100 responses within a month’s time. The 10 questions above fit quite nicely.